Wednesday 15 June 2022

Three Poems

Three poems, two of which were previously published in Westerly Magazine, which relate to my genealogical research. 


Backwater

My future is            backward

I should be far from        here

in the opened          summer

         past

         the soldered water's

edge—

         the many     histories

in the long and odd period

of dormancy            I carry.


Tides

Long ago

in a dark land

maternal lineage            twice

               removed

I’m searching for         her

record

in the silt down the Snowy

River      forced tides

around    the acacia wattle.

River Red Gum

I want my history     one face I resemble          

even the river red     gum is like another

tree with lanced        adult leaves and hardened

buds associated        with the surface of floods

in recent months       the spring stores little to scarce

information under    complete submersion for several days.


Please click the 'The Other Beauty' label in the side bar to see all my poetry posts.

Kangaroo Paw now held by the Scottish Poetry Library

  Kangaroo Paw is now available for loan from the Scottish Poetry Library in Edinburgh - a library dedicated to Scottish poetry, and poets ...